Oaxacan LIfe: Part 13-- Rainy Season

 The rain has begun in Oaxaca in earnest. I had been told this would be coming in June, but what I didn't expect was that the temperature would drop considerably as well, so it is like we are having a second winter here. Brrrr! 

Still, it is all worth it: everything is turning so beautiful and green, in and above the town, in the hills. After so many months of dryness and brown vegetation everywhere, it is a most welcome and refreshing change. Plus, I never fail to delight in the almost daily, afternoon thunder and lightening storms that move in from the mountains, providing a wonderful show out of my large, bedroom windows. 

Agog on my terrace--before the rain drives me back inside-- it is even better, owing to my 360 degree view.  And then, just yesterday, a new element was added in: a huge, beautiful rainbow to the east, just as the sun was setting in the west. As I watched in awe, a second rainbow joined in the display...fainter than its twin, but still visible. What an incredible show! As usual, I had to take photos in every direction, and that is what you see below:


The camera doesn't quite capture just how brilliant those colors are!


The rainbow remained for a good hour, and eventually stretched--but faintly--in an arc another 30 degrees or so across the sky... it didn't show up in my photo, unfortunately, so I didn't include it here. 


Here, you can faintly see the double just to the left of the main rainbow. 



Looking northwest, where the sky was still somewhat clear... but the setting sun lit up the smattering of clouds so beautifully... 


The scene, looking north


And finally, looking south, where the silhouette of the palms never fails to enhance this view of sky and yet more magnificent cloud formations! 


A downpour...enjoyed from my warm, cozy room, looking out onto my small balcony





Next up: my first dog sitting gig here in Oaxaca!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mazunte and San Augustinillo: Two very charming Oaxacan towns!

The expat's new adventure: traveling south of the border to Mazunte in the state of Oaxaca!

Oaxacan Life: Part 10-- Simple Pleasures (Placeres Simples)!