Oaxacan LIfe: Part 16--- Moho! Horrible! Moving.... !

 Dear readers, 

It has been a VERY long time, I know, since my last post. Even though many interesting events and sights have been worth blogging about, I have been lacking both time and motivation to do so...until now. 

Reason being, I have been in a frantic quest to find a new domicile, my lovely old apartment in El Centro being--most horrifically--overrun with mold of every variety! 

I thought the landlady, Lulu, was somewhat of a friend. Big mistake, thinking a land lord or lady in this town can also be a friend. (I have since spoken to many other expats who have had similar experiences... why I can speak in general terms about this.) She--and they--are business people. They are happy to capitalize on the great influx of gringos, pouring into Mexico; specifically, Oaxaca and other popular tourist destinations. Despite the ongoing pandemia, Mexico remains free, as it always has been... No tests or documentation of any sort required to enter its borders.

 Consequently, foreigners--fed up with being locked up in their own countries--are coming in droves, driving up both prices and the greediness of property owners. A sad commentary about human nature, to be sure...and not at all surprising. Mexico is, like the U.S., very much a capitalist country. 

It is a widespread notion amongst the locals that these foreigners--Americans, Canadians and Europeans--are filthy rich, and as such, can be gouged accordingly, especially when it comes to hotels and rentals. Lulu had told me, even before the vast amounts of mold rendered my home unlivable, that she would be increasing the rent by 1,000 pesos! In other words, going from 8,000 pesos to 9,000, monthly. My Mexican friends thought I already was paying too much! So you see, not just my perspective. Never mind that she knows I am a humble, semi-retired school teacher, who was basically forced to become an expat in order to maintain any decent quality of life, because I could not afford to do so in my country of origin!

Yes, you may detect a note of bitterness... it is for real. So also was the depression I am just now finally coming out of... and once more returning to my blog. I am back to being my mostly cheery self because I finally landed a simple--but basic--one bedroom apartment, still in El Centro, and for a reasonable price: 3,000 pesos less than I had been paying! Nothing short of miraculous, to be sure... and about #16 in my long, tedious and disheartening quest for a place to live that would be both reasonably comfortable and affordable. So finding even the humblest of digs was a supreme relief, as you might imagine! I will post photos of my new abode once settled and unpacked (I move in on Friday, October 1st.) 

In the meantime, here are the photos of what I left behind:


As I packed up as quickly as possible, I had to wear my industrial-strength "cubra boca" in order to keep from breathing in the most unhealthy--and smelly--mold. Lulu, told about my concerns months ago, claimed it was merely dampness I was seeing on the wall and not mold at all! She said she would paint "after the rainy season"--- meaning, two months out, at least! Not to mention, her "solution' was not even close to being the proper remedy for the problem.

It was amazing how the mold seemed to pop out everywhere on the walls, almost overnight: a truly devastng invasion!


I always thought that the clay-over-bricks living room wall was lovely and certainly most unusual. Well, as it turns out, it was to my detriment: it never dried out anytime during the 4 months of the rainy season, and thus was the first place to sprout a terrible white mold. It not only smelled horrendous, but caused the bits of clay to turn to white powder and dust the entire surrounding area with it. 




Not my most exciting blog post but certainly one which documents my most distressing experience in Oaxaca to date! 


Comments

  1. Wow- I’m glad you got to live there before it got moldy and SO glad you found a place in El Centro that is suitable. Yup, you can’t just paint over mold- usually bleach is involved depending what the walls are made of I guess. Sad about how Lulu’s demeanor changed and such a false belief that all the foreigners are wealthy...anyway, I know you will make your new place homey :-) Great picture of you in the mask BTW. It says it all!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mazunte and San Augustinillo: Two very charming Oaxacan towns!

The expat's new adventure: traveling south of the border to Mazunte in the state of Oaxaca!

Oaxacan Life: Part 10-- Simple Pleasures (Placeres Simples)!